Friday, February 01, 2002

There appears to be some controversy over Friday night small groups.
At our church, we have a 'young adult' group. This group is made up of people that are in the mid-late 20s and early 30s. We meet on Friday nights to talk about how our work week was, and to do a little bible study...etc. Fellowship stuff.

Someone recently brought up a notion that we should meet 2x a month instead of every week. I'm very distraught by this. I don't understand. To me, meeting 2x a month is not considered a 'fellowship'. Its merely a 'gathering'. I guess in a sense I'm afraid of 'losing' the group that I goto for support.

Why would we want to meet 2x a week? Well, here are they reasons that were discussed through e-mail and my responses:
1. Its a chore to have to host small group at our house on Friday nights?
My response: Don't host it unless you want to.
2. I want my Friday nights to be free to relax after a hard working week?
My response: Don't need to come if you don't feel like coming. I goto the fellowship to relax....
3. Not enough people wants to go every week anyways?
My response: Why are we having small group again? its to support each other in the kingdom of God. So whether its 2 people or 20 people, its still fellowship, right?

I dunno. To me, these seem to be very simple questions, with very simple answers. I don't understand what the crying is all about.

What is a fellowship that meets 2x a month? Not much of one. To me, that means if something comes up on the week that we have small group then I won't get to see everyone for another whole month. It doesn't make any sense. Why do we goto church every week? Why not every other week? I know I don't have a perfect attendance record at small groups, cuz a lot of times my friends come up from LA and I don't get to see them very often.... But, no matter, small group should not discontinued because of that! It should be there for people to come and have a shoulder to lean on, a place for people to come and chat and share about the hardships of the working environment. Its tough enough working in the world by yourself.... Therefore, I signed up to host small group at my house. We'll see how things go from here!

john

No comments: