Wednesday, February 27, 2002

Read an interesting article today, it was in the Argus this morning. I read it while I was at the red light on Montague and Scott (yeah, its a loooong light...)

Its a story about 2 guys that are roommates at Stanford Hospital that are both waiting for a heart transplant. One guy was a father who owns a successful catering business in Newark. Another was a 2 time convicted robber from Los Angeles. The first guy's family visits him every day. The other guy only has security guards by his side 24-7.

A new heart came in, and the father had some other surgery done, so he was temporarily unavailable for the heart transplant. They gave the heart to the 2 time convicted robber.

How would you feel? I was really mad as I read up to that part. Why? The robber is in jail at the hospital. The operation costs upwards of a million dollars of taxpayers money. That doesn't make any sense. Why not give the heart to someone more deserving?

Then, as I read on, I realized how selfish I was. Who is to say who is more deserving? God has a plan for all of us, and maybe he has great plans for the robber, and thus letting him live. Is one life worth more than the other? I thought to myself. (No, not really) and no one knows what is going to happen in the future. Maybe this near-death experience will change the robber. Who knows? If I was in the father's shoes, would I be at peace with what happened? The father in the article put himself in the hands of God, and trusted God's decision. Am I able to do that?

What a humbling experience! I realized how un-deserving I am of God's grace. God had such a compassion for the human kind, and that He send His son to die for us, so that we can receive God's grace. Isn't that awesome? Also, it makes me realize that I need to fully trust in God's plan. To not worry about the future and do the best I can and put myself in His hands.

john

No comments: