Wednesday, August 07, 2002

Ok... This is going to sound Nerdy, but I really like technology. I think its really neat.

I went to a series of training seminars that ended today which talked about cable modem transfer protocols. In it, there were quite some discussions about S-CDMA, which stands for Synchronous CMDA (Code-Division Multiple Access). We hear about CDMA all the time (you know, in Cel phones! That's how Qualcomm was able to get their stock up to $600/share!). So I finally understood somewhat of how CDMA works. Its pretty cool! It takes narrow-band of information, multiply it by a certain "code" and then transmit it on a particular channel in a certain timeslot. Up to a set of cel phones can do this all at the same time, in the same timeslot. There is no confusion when that happens because of the "codes" that the signal multiplies to are Orthagonal (i.e. mutual exclusive, as in no dependency on each other). Anyhow. the adventages of CDMA is that it buys you SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) so that you are more immune to noise.

I think thats how it work. Its new to me, and not easy to swallow and remember. I'm sure I'll learn more in the days to come!

john

No comments: